Join the adventure and innovate with a talented team that’s pushing the capabilities of experience management! Empower thousands of tour and activity operators.
One of Canada’s top SaaS growth companies located on beautiful Vancouver Island. As the industry's leading independent booking software, we have customers who run businesses in fascinating destinations all over the world. We have over 5,000 businesses using our platform and have processed over $10B in bookings to date, operating in 136 countries and 36 languages.
About the Job
We are looking for someone who has the technical capability to drive excellence and the ability to mentor and grow a development team. Checkfront is growing and we’re looking for passionate leaders to deliver product features, improve our development processes and help achieve our business goals. We ship code every day and we're proud of our deployment and agile process and are looking for someone with experience with release management.
Please note the preferred location for this role is Victoria, BC, but we are open to hiring remotely within Canada.
This role is for our new Growth development team. The successful candidate will lead and manage this team on the company’s growth initiatives. This role reports to the Director of Software Development.
You are a collaborative, empowering, and humble teammate ready to lead your team to success. You strive to support, direct and encourage your team members to enable them to thrive and grow.
- Team leadership:
- Deeply involved in the day-to-day Sprint and other Scrum ceremonies
- Accountable for the quality of work the team delivers
- Accountable for the team’s velocity consistency
- Responsible for the team’s commitments
- Responsible for following up on Post Mortem and Retrospective action items
- Removes blockers for the team
- Support the team’s technical leads and senior developers to succeed and help grow the team
- Motivates the team to do their best work
- Maintain high standards building software by implementing and promoting best practices and good habits
- Works with our agile-coach and is responsible to continually improve the team’s agile process
- Works with other department managers to give feedback on work quality and capacity requirements for their team
- Works directly with their Product team partners and other Dev teams’ leads to progress the team’s roadmap and projects
- Communicate team status and details on the work being done to stakeholders both internal and external to the department
- Technical leadership:
- Accountable for your team’s code quality through code reviews
- Be the technical advocate, identify and communicate risks, and represent the team’s interests in discussions with stakeholders concerning the team’s roadmap and projects
- Accountable for maintaining clear documentation of any processes or decisions made for and by the team
- Be comfortable building a technical design and deciding upon the best course of action after taking input/feedback from others
- Potentially participate in the architecture, product design and UAT review process by providing constructive feedback
- Monitor production metrics and occasionally acting as a first responder or fire captain
- People management:
- Build team excellence by providing actionable, timely feedback through 1:1s, coaching and mentoring opportunities, performance and technical assessments
- Professional development planning, support, and up-skilling their team
- Participate in retaining, hiring and interviewing talent
- Member of the technology leadership team that guides our software development best practices and processes for continuous improvement
Ideally, you should have
- 1+ years of experience in a technical leadership position or 7+ years experience building scalable SaaS solutions
- A passion for mentorship, agile best practices, and process improvement
- The empathy to understand the needs of the developers, the platform, the customer and any other stakeholders
- Passion for people, building excellence through coaching, feedback, and career development of team members
- The ability to build, hire, and lead high performing engineering teams
- The desire to empower team members, hold them accountable, measure productivity and motivate them to do great work
- Possess a growth mindset, open to learning from diverse perspectives and experiences from both your peers and from you team
- The maturity to manage individual contributors that may be more technically advanced than yourself
- Experience with e-commerce, bookings, and the tourism and activity industry
- Experience with other parts of our tech stack and have the potential to pick up quickly where there are identified gaps: Symfony or Laravel, PostgreSQL, Cypress, Docker, Github, Google Cloud
If you don’t meet all of our requirements exactly or have some gaps in your resume know that we would still love to hear from you! Use your cover letter to tell us about your unique experience - we understand that talent comes from many places and that skills are transferable.
Life at Checkfront
At Checkfront, people empower others by providing opportunities for growth and learning, fostering teamwork and encouraging ideas. We support the well-being of our employees and dedicate our overall efforts toward a positive employee experience.
We value psychological safety and transparency across all levels of the organization, and as a result, there is a tremendous sense of camaraderie and support felt throughout the company. Everyone is caring about their teammates and is passionate about their work.
We are committed to upholding the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. In pursuit of this, we actively seek new members who will work respectfully and constructively with our team, propelling our company and the community forward.
There are also fun events throughout the year; skiing, cabin getaways, fireside chats, holiday parties, and more! Do you prefer a flexible work location? That’s great! Whether you are at home or in-office, we aim to provide an inclusive environment.
As a company, we are committed to upholding the values of diversity, inclusion, and equity. In pursuit of this, we actively seek new members who will work respectfully and constructively with our team, and challenge the status quo, propelling our company and the community forward.
Perks and Benefits
- A company that values work-life balance
- A constructive environment with room to learn, excel and impact
- Vacation, personal days, health days, paid volunteer day, bonus days and half day Fridays
- Extended health benefits and EAP program
- Parental benefits
- Employee Stock Option Plan
- Professional development allowance
- Mentorship program
- Team building events
- A newly renovated (as of May 2020) “tourism themed” office space in downtown Victoria
Checkfront acknowledges and respects that we work, learn, and innovate on the unceded Coast Salish Territory of the Lekwungen & WSÁNEĆ nations.